Question:
What are proper gifts to bring to family and friends in Vietnam?
pass
2006-03-09 12:24:20 UTC
We are visiting from the United States (CT) and visiting Saigon and Vung Tau.
Eight answers:
rst5566
2006-03-09 12:35:04 UTC
ha! i went through the same problum this summer.

ok, they like anything that is american, ladies LOVE makeup...k just buy some really cheep makeup at the drug store (covergirl, mabaline, w/e) they love it cause its so expensive in vietam (im my case, china). kids like anything... get them shoes thath are really cheap here (nike, addidas ex.) make sure its on sale, they would never know.

guys like anything, i really do not think money is good unless its for your parents because they would think your giving them money cause you think there poor. so dont give men anything, its always the wemon and kids.
huynhhoang76
2006-03-09 17:00:41 UTC
Oh my god!!!!!!!!! What are you talking about Vietnamese. You think that they love some gifts like that??? Like money$$, no, that is too wrong except on Luna New year for kid( they call it is " lucky money") like almost Asia country.

Ok, I agree with you that somethings in US like Nike .. is cheap for American, but do not thind that becasue VNese standard living are lower than you, that means is they can't buy it. No no no, they can if they want, i can make sure with you that now in Vietnam, people are very very smart...

Anyway, in my opinion i think you can bring what do you want, that will be great if you think its good, because people are very nice. If you have invited to have meal, no need to bring food more, you must come only, don't worry , no problem with thier life style.

So, the best thing I think is some thing that only US has ( not like Nike...) , ex: picture,card, insignia ...( somethings about your country, your life style..)
ong jon
2006-03-09 15:50:49 UTC
although can buy almost anything in viet nam that you can get here.they will appreciate ANYTHING you bring them from the U.S. just as a gesture. they have a custom of giving gifts in pairs so you might get 2 of something.... when ever i give a gift i always think what do i want them to have [ turn them on to something i like] anyway if they are poor by Vietnamese standards definitely an envelope with & 2 $50 bills would be nice. and definatly take lots of picture of all of them and their friends and neighbores too..give them all copies[ you can get quality developing done fast and cheap almost anywhere in viet nam].. dont let the neighbors be jelous.. di choi vui ve[ have a fun trip]... oh yeah , they all have small curio cabnets in their front room of which they are very proud.[ dont admire their stuff too much , they'll want to give it to you ].. a pretty nic nac is nice... and if they are catholic , definately a religious statue. Mary and JESUS are their favorites. if you go to the market with them over there [ and you should] pick up the "check" and if you see something small they might like ,buy it, " oh , i want to get this for you"...
timmytightteeth
2006-03-09 12:28:18 UTC
Stray Cats and Dogs. Oh and Food... but they tend to be one and the same.
thatiswhatithink
2006-03-10 06:54:01 UTC
Exactly. Vietnamese people are friendly and hospitable people. $$$ doesn't buy our hospitality and friendship.

Have an enjoyable trip.
Nacho1234567
2006-03-09 12:30:33 UTC
$$$
2006-03-09 12:26:02 UTC
Money is always helpful.

FLowers.

Plants.
mexican honey
2006-03-09 12:29:35 UTC
FOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD FOODFOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD FOODFOOD FOODFOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD FOODFOOD FOOD FOOD FOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOODFOOD. and did i mention FOOD